Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Conversation..

We were at our usual dinner spot last night. Beer guzzler meets jazz musician meets fervant South Indian, there for the famously great food. Place is owned by a friend who draws like an angel, has a warm,fuzzy heart and resembles a Harley maverick. There are sad goblins on the walls that always make me want to write about them. One goblin gingerly holds a tiny fragile fairy in his palm and is staring at her, mesmerized. I'll never forget that look, of absolute longing and enchantment. It must be nice to be an art whiz with your own pub. Sigh.

Steaming soup arrives and its the best thing I've ever eaten with the rains beating a consistent drum outside.

"What does being in love really mean?"

Huh? Um..entirely wrong person to ask..I..er.. The cornered person in question looks like he'd rather be in jail..

Everyone looks serious. Well of course. This bunch never gets serious about anything! And the one topic that I would certainly mumble my way through, they choose to get philosophical over

Superstar suddenly sheds the style and gets deep. Old girlfriends are drudged up. much debris is discussed. He has a point, a lot of loves are about having fun with someone and continuing to have fun no matter how long its lasted. Most good marraiges seem to be fun.

I apologetically try and remember all the instances where I had fancied the sensation.

Another friend thinks its about middle ground. Yeah, I can relate. Compromise and all that. Your noodles for my rotis. But surely this constant "deal" is not all it's jazzed up to be? Surely it gets tiring? Especially if it's constantly conscious?

My relationship allows me room and breathing space and the random days of cranky solitude that I cannot live without.

Love is...the fantastic high that fades into a fantastic low. We all laugh at her joke. But its true. I've been troubled in situations where my closest friends have said that the pain was too much too bear, that desolation/ anger/ hurt/ weakness was the altar at which worshipping Love, made it bearable. Seems terribly painful..are you sure that this is love..I had doubtfully asked in my head..

My relationship has laughter and teasing and problems that dont become grudges or vinegered anger.

X believes Love has has the properties to heal and restore.
Y wants nothing to do with it, is in hate and likes the armour.
Z wants cotton candy and walks in the rain.

I dislike drama. I found logic and companionship, friendly warmth, even on days that tell me I cannot ever expect salvation. Sorry, Dad.

A likes languid afternoon, makes the time, cooks together.
B believes in driver's seats and equalizing power (Contradictory I know, but exactly what she said)
C is recently liberated from wet toilets and pompous last name.
D wants her to help more at home.

Turning off a tap, learning to cook, watching films alone, watching films together,...adulterous, juvenile, cuddling, candour, sex, hate, loneliness, organizing, bills, trips, fights, make-up sex, fantasies with other people, money, stability...

I chew slowly..my head swims easily. I wish my partner were here. I think we would've both been bewildered.

Love..seems complicated.

9 comments:

Woman?? said...

Nah!
Its people thats complicated.

Love is what one chooses it to be.

Choose it to be a compramise. It is.
Choose it to be about an equal equation. It is.
Choose it to be about cotton candy. It is.
Choose it to be sex. It is.
Choose it to be abstention. It is.
Choose it to be God. It is.
Choose it to be the Devil. It is.
Choose it to be the most important thing in life, which can over-power and over-come anything and everything and can turn the moon red and the sun blue... it is...

Love is what one chooses it to be.
Love, hate, anger, friendship, sorrow, joy, peace... ALL simple...

Its people thats complicated.

Woman?? said...

I think realising this truth (previous comment) about love is what matures a person into seeing that it is not this great, timeless, omnipotent force which we are brought up to believe it is.

Love is... in the moment...

Even if one chooses to leave one's partner tomorrow...
that which is felt in the current moment of togetherness which is the very reason that that moment was spent together... that is love.

I learnt this the hard way.

Woman?? said...

I have noticed that I tend to preach too much in my comments. Never pay attention to the essence of what posts are... pieces of good writing.

So...

Therapy:
Very visual descriptions of what ran through your head at the time. I like the way that you've interspersed sudden flashes of thought in between.

Hari Adivarekar said...

Thatsie right, the woman?? is smarter...
Love is simple. People are complicated.
The veil of maya shrouds us all.

Anyway, I hope I'm not barging into your blogspace. Just like your writing and you were nice enough to stop by too. :)

vichchoobhai said...

On a cool rainy day, I would anytime prefer hot soup to cold beer.
And as for love i doubt if it exists, even as I doubt if God exists. Both are much talked about but never seen, though sometimes felt by the devotees. Just as they ascsribe many forms to God so do the worshippers of love ascribe many forms of it. Some find it in sex, others in togetherness, yet others in sacriaafice, suffering and what not.

It was Mirza Ghalib who rediculed love by chiding the aashiqs not to wail about their lost love, "ghum"

Aur bhi gham hai Zamane mein Mohabbat ke siva, he said


and how true !

Mahima said...

Woman, you said it all, what I was coming in to say.

Love is as complicated and as simple as you want it to be. Its like life... make it simple, make it complicated, make it miserable, make it happy.

Its upto you.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... interestingly deep conversation. (Both, the one described in the article as well as the one happening in the comments)

Should make a play out of this.

Very... philosophical.
:-)

-Anand!

therapy said...

Woman and Mahima, You echo my sentiments on the subject. What my post was meant to describe was how overwhelmingly complicated most people's versions seemed to be. Perhaps, when whittled down to its basic, it's very simple in each of their heads, but that night, it seemed like an avalanch..and it IS a choice. All of life is.

Woman,I love what you said about love being in the moment..

Hari..you're very welcome here. thank you:)

vichchoobhai - Love does come in several forms. Whether or not you want to feel it is also a choice:)

anand- I love that you're here..it makes up for your absence that night:)..you're right, the comments give so much to the post..

Jayanth said...

Hmmm... looks like we both had some issues understanding Love.. However, i wasnt talking about Love, between just two people- in a romantic sense. However, the more and more i reflect onit, the only answer that has come closest to convincing me is one word- Service. The only Synonym that sounded nearest to convincing so far!!!
However, your angle of Attachment- there is a lot of difference between attachment and Love. it is Attachment which causes difficuties in a relationship. Again, as someone mentioned, there is some Maya involved. I guess a spiritual outlook helps!
Cheers!