Friday, December 15, 2006

Attrition..

Last night we saw something beautiful. Naturally perfect, sitting there, on that smoothly polished surface that seemed created uniquely. The angle was just right, the lights softly caught the odd imperfection put there to assure one of reality. Reflections of a glassy red ashtray shone through with friendy ardour. The single engraving, almost a dent, dimpled up at me enchantingly. Coffee gold is a colour, I sighed to myself.
We were a little wary though. Perfection is misleading and often has disturbingly disappointing interiors. We gingerly listened in silence. And the sounds lifted us up, enveloping in their simplicity and full of promised intensities.
This is the one we want. Or at least the kind that deserves to be longed for.
Sigh.
Why would he have terrible feet?

Separately, I felt a bit sad with something I discovered yesterday. Also slightly glad. I had been really confused for a bit. I couldn't get how someone could go from being dedicated and full of potential to average mediocrity within a few days. I could be terribly brilliant at dancing tonight and really bad at it tomorrow? How does that work? I was reading one really bad poem that had this decent last line when it sort of made sense. How good or awful I am as a dancer, really has to do with how I feel about dancing. Reverence, honesty, commerce, conflict, love, lust...how you treat the art form/ person/ even object, is returned or rewarded in full force by the art form/ person/ even object in question.
Scary I say.
I cant dance, but there are plenty of days I grudgingly do something connected to what I love.
And I've seen very closely how easy it is to slip into being average despite having potential.

8 comments:

Monolith... said...

True. Very true.

Hari Adivarekar said...

I'm going to be a bit harsh and say that if you have the potential, slipping into mediocrity indicates a slide into malaise more than anything else.
Granted we all can't be brilliant at what we do and love day in and day out but the moment we stop trying the moment we stop being passionate is when being average rears its ugly head.
The easiest thing to do let things be or say that something is good enough.
The truth is we all know nothing and never will. It's that truth that should drive us through our lives. Not only the thirst for knowledge, which is relative but the imbibing of wisdom.

Rae said...

wonderfully worded. and how true!

Anonymous said...

I don't know all that much about passion, but sometimes plain old bloody-mindedness works pretty decently if you have a job to get done.

vichchoobhai said...

A look at the Indian cricket team's performance in South Africa shows how excellence can degenerate to mediocrity. But they have sprung back to form in the first test. So, we shouldn't worry too much with the vagaries of one's performance. Depends on so many things. Application, dedication, selfconfidence and fearlessness i think r the mantras to keep the performance at the top notch.

therapy said...

hey hari. the thing is i saw that up close, the slipping into mediocrity. and in someone who is possibly able to be far more. and yeah, i agree that the malaise is self controlled. the minute you think you've mastered it, or the minute you stop trying to learn, is when average happens. it is scary. esp. when you figure it could happen to you too.

piggy. I cant be plain old bloody-minded about stuff without the p word having something to do with it. so i guess i dont agree.

how's the dog? eating?

Anonymous said...

Sadly, no. I'm just hoping it's worms etc. Something temporary, anyway.

The Wannabe Writer said...

This is V

Dancing is overrated...how you doing?? You and superstar coming my hometown anytime soon??