Monday, October 30, 2006

The Monologues..

So this is the new blog.

The one that I practice reality on.

Five women, all five of us are..definingly urban. And strangers. Thrown together by the desire to create an unabashed, fierce and dramatic forum. Where we can talk (albeit as a dialogue to an audience), and really understand what it means to be female and free and yet suppressed within our country. One of us is part Russian part Indian..the rest, modern Indian feminine forces. Or so we want to be.

Our conversations, are enriching. Our individual agendas, revelations.

Being Indian and urban, spells contempt on two of our artist lives. The struggle is strangely disorienting. Why does a tribal background or coming from a folk community spell greater acceptance in our careers? Exotic India wanted. As middle class urban women, are we less qualified for the arclights and applause because we're city bred and standardized models of urban chic? Fuck that. We have the fire, the talent and the intelligence. We can learn how to move like Kerala and talk like Punjab. We have understood Bengal and fallen in love with Marathi ire. we can. Why do we have to fight so hard to prove it? What makes reservaton okay? What allows discrimination condemning us to the pancake coated images that we want so desperately to shed. We are in love with the theatre. We are actors and cannot do anything else. We need to be given The Fair Chance.

One of us is a singer. Why is being a jazz musician and singing at a classy hotel so looked down upon in my country? In my home? Okay, screw that. Why have I felt discrimated against all my adult life? Too Indian abroad and not Indian enough at home?

Two of us are in love. With each other. The quiet writer and the religious dancer. A long love. Even though it seems like it may separate, it is only the lovers at stake. The friends will still fight to stay in each other's lives. Post trauma of course. One comment was " I came to grips with my sexuality, really confronted it, post realizing my bisexuality".. What about the rest? The straight ones ask.. Is being different the only route to being liberated? Why dont we talk as freely about our desires, our turning points, our bodies and the milestones of being a free woman?

Personally. my female influences are few and far between.
I look forward to meeting this exciting, beautiful group four times a week. I want to be free. Freer.

6 comments:

Woman?? said...


"
You were caught on the crossfire
Of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
"

therapy said...

Thank you.

I like:) Much.

vichchoobhai said...

Very nteresting. I love your monologues. Could not post comments on each of them though. I could surmise u r an artist, into theatre, and feelng a bit frustrated. Perhaps u r not too comfortable with your peers. Could it be due to your stint in UK? Has it become a chip n your shoulder? I think u need to analyse it. Indians are what they are. Come call centres, BPOs knowlege cities or what not, we remain culturally the same. U just cant transplant the western mores on our lifestyles. So it is best for u to adjust and settle down here,(If u have burnt your bridges to UK) enjoy your work, who does not feel uncomfortable at hs/her workplace? sORRY FOR PROFFERING SUCH GRATUITOUS ADVICE. I know preaching is easier than practising.

Well, all power to your elbow. Carry on regardless.

therapy said...

where do you get this stuff?

I am genuinely curious..
For the record, no stint in the UK...yet.

vichchoobhai said...

From "Other people's babies" U said your dad is going to London for five yers and visiting London would be great etc. Maybe i got it all wrong. Sorry if that be the case. I withdraw my comments.
My apologies to u

therapy said...

well, dad moving and my visiting is all in the future.
and my english experiences extend to one airport stopover.
cheers.