Saturday, August 11, 2007

H for Happy....

It’s been close to six weeks since The Move. Jam has had several life altering experiences in her otherwise peaceful existence. She wonderfully remains the naughty, intrinsically sunny kitten she is. Being plump does wonders for her disposition. Falling out of my third floor apartment (The kitchen window was open and she who has sat and sunned herself on it a million times, leaned too far forward in an excited attempt towards a mocking pigeon) and being chased by my well meaning watchman looking to score brownie points with me, resulted in a day of sitting quietly in her previously irrelevant basket and hobbling around with a severely strained muscle in her hind leg. She’d never seen the outside world and this unpleasant initiation coupled with a hysterical, tearful me and an unknown (but nice) vet, made for a somber deflowering. I was the traumatized one however. The next day, by evening, she was playing with her ball, using only upper body. Leg’s healing and so am I.

Home is now a nice, warm, colorful apartment. Being alone, feeling alone and wanting company many miles way is becoming a less vehement voice in my head. Despite working late each night, initially I dreaded the days off. Invitations to drinks that I did not want to drink, with people I was determined to not enjoy, were becoming hard to deal with. Secondly, being alone in a house that wasn’t home yet, suffocated me. I missed home and its people and the cool dark drizzle outside my French windows. Work, the reason I’d moved, is great. However I’m one of those people who need play too. So I resented work for being so nice, the same way I had yelled at play last year, for being perfect, for holding me back.

I traveled insanely. I planned the move during a period I knew would be hectic. I’ve done enough packing, unpacking, hotel rooms and room service for a long time. I love the excitement of it, I detest the thought that it’s a bit of me running away from settling into a city that I’m going to have to live in, for a very long time. A city that never sleeps, that makes me afraid of being unhappy. A fighter city.

I’m still not all there. I’m still traveling. I like the people, even though I haven’t met a potential great friend yet. But often these days, when I get home at night, I find myself looking forward to an established, comfortable routine that smells suspiciously like home. Jam greets me noisily at the door, we cuddle for a good 15 minutes, I get myself a shower and something hot or cold. Dinner, emails, television, book, calls, bed….

There is hope yet.

10 comments:

vichchoobhai said...

Oh so glad tosee a post from u after a long hiatus. Does settling down in Bombay take so long? Dont worry, u will get over the blues. There is still hope, as u say. Make new friends stay connected. Be in touch with old friends in Bangalore for nostalgia's sake. Your next post should be on a less doleful note. Got it?

All the best in the new city

Rae said...

i know frand. the city does that to you.

but hey, you got Jam and french windows! I envy you already.

p.s: i promise we'll meet soon.

Anonymous said...

This should be read at a dimly lit restaurant with a barely-heard, sultry voice slipping a melody into the sub-conscious, a glass of a fruity red wine to accompany and the thought of a belle sitting across the world thinking of the reader.

And thats just how it was read.

Monolith... said...

hope. hmmm.

therapy said...

yes bhai, i think happier times are ahead...

rae...french wndows at the blore place..now just plain old...windows

hello anand...i'm sure australia is lots of fun. you are a jackass for being there while i'm here. mono is in there too. hook up.

mono lets get very merrry once youre back...hic

Hari Adivarekar said...

As there always is. Good to see you're settling down. Love to Jam. My kitty Moni says Hi too.

therapy said...

thankoo hari. Jam is delighted.

Mahima said...

Glad to know you are settling in... routines are a real blessing, aren't they? Am glad you have Jam, non-cuddling makes for a lonely time.

Anonymous said...

I think Jam deserves her own blog.

:-)

-A!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

I don't know if ratemykitten still exists, but Jam seriously does deserve her own page :)