Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Something I intended to post but forgot last time.
A couple of days ago I was asked to decide the dramatic potential of some professional institutions. The festival was organized by Bangalore’s best and India’s second best management college. Undoubtedly aware of their prestige, they snagged a very hefty sum from sponsors and managed to invite the celebrity cream among musicians and quite a bit of corporate glitz. However, as far as managing the event went, the future of corporate India seems quite bleak. They treated us very sweetly but seemed quite helpless and uninformed most of the time. Things were heavily delayed, no one seemed to have the required control and the few that looked informed were far more interested in barking into their warlike talkies.

What made up for the lack of structure was the quality of theatre that came out on top. I would’ve paid more than I usually do to watch those plays at our auditoriums that frequently grace badly rehearsed, fundamentally unsound scripts.

13 comments:

Hari Adivarekar said...

Most fests end up this way but I guess one would expect a tad more than mismanagement from an institute of that stature (I think I've guess which one, 3.4 points to meee :D)

therapy said...

yeah, but i really thought these guys could do better...

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Sorry I don't have anything profound or platitudinous to put in italics or say about it..but honestly, cut them some slack. I know what a bitch organising things like this can be what with highly taxing workloads to deal with on top of it all, and even if I'm clueless about the theatre scene...their other stuff seems to run itself just fine. And more or less on time, too.

vichchoobhai said...

Good work therapy. I wish I was at Banerghatta to watch u at work. I did see Excavations ast Prithvi last month. Good show it was. Left me a bit dazed though. Did u read the review of it in Mumbai Mirror?

Anonymous said...

mail me.

therapy said...

You sound defensive piggy. there's no need really, their plays was all i needed to make up for things. and where being profound is concerned, there’s no real necessity. Not here anyway. Too many lawyers are making you potty.

Vbhai….I’m glad you liked Excavators. Um….bannerghata? work? My folks live there…what are you talking about? Yup, saw the review:)

I will mail today disktop…is London bridge falling down again?

therapy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vichchoobhai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Echo said...

In such cases the quality of theater is directly related to the number of your own children in the piece.

therapy said...

vbhai...my parents live in the same area, which happens to be large.
also, there's much to be said in not stating the obvious.

echo....er, what?

Woman?? said...

Ha ha!
Spoken like a true mother, Echo.
:)
Very true.

Although, I think Therapy was judging impartially (and un-parental-ly)

Woman?? said...

Ha ha!
Spoken like a true mother, Echo.
:)
Very true.

Although, I think Therapy was judging impartially (and un-parental-ly)

Anonymous said...

pah - where's that e-mail now? London bridge seems to be doing fine. I walked across it today.