Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lets go...

The other day I read an article on guilt. Apparently, it’s the new love. Makes the world go round. Apparently, it’s what the Great Indian Family Bond is based on. A large dose of sentiment, in the right, quavering tone, with a tiny reminder on duty thrown in on the side, is all it takes, assures this well informed journalist. We the people are consumed by our desire to be holier than thou. We even marry people we’ve never met, sacrificing far more interesting partners we may or may not have fallen in love with. Children are forced to eat because there is no middle ground between discipline and domination. Our parents never did it, and instead, Immaculate Conception, or its desi, purer equivalent, is firmly believed in till at ripe old 15, Bollywood or Playboy, whichever arrives first, make things impossible. Sex Ed is off the internet or music videos that work just as well. The article also talked of the sexual stigma that defines our blurred sexual identities later on. Deepak Chopra’s illustrated Kamasutra at Crossword is opened guiltily by a young woman. In fact, come to think of it, the Erotica section is the least visited corner in any bookstore. Same sex partners and AIDS are clubbed together and both accepted as a strange westernized phenomenon that affects “other people”. All this while we evolve from mithai on Diwali to Rocher, champagne and eBay.

Initially, when I read the article, I rubbished it. There are far too many of us who like finger pointing because it makes for intellectual hoo ha. And I know plenty of nice families that have set up new Indian ideals where it doesn’t really matter what the norm is, and if you want to do something, you’re free to do it after or despite discussion. Grudgingly or otherwise, many Indian parents today balance freedom well with authority. This writer kept saying how proud she was of being of Indian origin, which was quite ridiculous given that she seemed to think that as a nation, we symbolize one huge guilt trip.

But I’ll give her this much. The guilt that she spoke of is something we do without even realizing it. I have strong women friends defined by guilt. They’re vibrant and independent and full of pride, but at some grass root level, they’re feeling guilty. Of being independent in a family where women don’t need to work and a job is viewed of as an impediment to the natural duty of child rearing and husband feeding. Of never being able to explain why freedom is important. Of never being able to escape the shame of having felt claustrophobia. Our television feeds complete garbage into the minds of its viewers. The representation of Indian men and women is something I’m fiercely ashamed of. Rae’s post last week was a funny read but has a far deeper truth that despite endless debating, fails to really outrage our accepting sensibilities.
Generation Now is evolving into funny, interesting people that screw up relationships occasionally, find jobs and partners they love deeply, or in the least can live with and suffer stress, smoking and bad cinema. Couples have children after having spent enough time enjoying each other’s company. Marriage has stopped becoming a spiritual goal.

But guilt is still a big deal. I have my own. Every now and then I tend to mumble my way through family weddings where explaining my unconventional career and life is fearful. Suddenly my intense love for what I do, is guilty. I’ve watched my amazing dad try to explain my decisions and cringed. A friend is slowly trying to work his way through a mess of having been the obedient son for too long. Having sacrificed what he’s wanted for a really long time, extracting oneself from well meaning, but suffocating families where duty and sacrifice are synonymous with family honor is a task. Another friend cant get out of a marriage that lasted as long as the wedding because she’s afraid of the literal heart attack back home. A third will complete the mandatory education in the chosen field for 7 years before going on to get a job she doesn’t want. The thing is, we’re still not free. There are very many of us who are stuck in pools of inexplicable guilt that defy logic. Fashion becomes something to be ashamed of in a country where choices are judged in a matter of minutes.

I know I sound a little confused in this post. Its because I am, on the subject. There's a lot to understand where brass tacks are concerned.

I honestly don’t know if it’s more specific to us, owing to our heritages, or a widespread feeling that better masked elsewhere. Whatever it is, it’s too much baggage to grow with.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

Well written. And very very true.

Doesn't sound too confusing, mainly because this is an accurate picture of the way things are.

I think, till such a time that the Indian people, as a people as well as individuals, mature... no solution can come for this.

Woman?? said...

Like all struggles for freedom, perhaps a war is required.

Hari Adivarekar said...

It's only guilt if you feel it.
If you haven't done anyone any harm, I honestly don't understand why guilt should rear its ugly head.

Woman?? said...

Hari:

Years of conditioning combined with subtle (sometimes not very) suggestions that you have 'sinned' can often over-ride cold logic.

Hari Adivarekar said...

No, I didn't mean it that way. I guess its obviously different from situation to situation but in terms of family I look at doing something for the sake of it so that I can make someone I really care about happy. And there's no guilt involved there. But I must admit I have been lucky in that my parents have never pressurised me to do something that I knew wasn't true to my nature. But for the smaller things I just cave in happily knowing that it would make them happy and that makes me happy as well. Savy? :) :)

Mahima said...

It takes a master not to be pressurized by the years old trick of "guilt", and still you find yourself often sliding back into the trap. Sigh.

Echo said...

Because your friends are trapped doesn't mean you have to be. When you have done what you can for those you can, you have to follow your heart. And know they love you and, though they may not understand, in their hearts they want you to be where you need to be. If you look at guilt maybe its just an excuse for fear. Do what your true WILL tells you and you can't go wrong.
Ok, sorry for the lecture.. good luck.

therapy said...

hari...I think you're lucky:)

Echo, "though they may not understand, in their hearts they want you to be where you need to be"

not always my friend.. heh

Rae said...

Very true, therapy. And not confusing at all. Just sad that everyone as liberated or repressed as the other knows it, yet either chooses to not think about it, or pretend this happens only to other people.

sigh. great post. thinking of something else besides evil grand daughter in the 10:30 slot..

Monolith... said...

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Monolith... said...

A lot of things happening in my car...but this is not the place to discuss them! ;)

therapy said...

mono...tell all!!!!!!!!!

also, i will be in delhi next two weeks...you too?

rae....more on the grandaughter please....:)

The Wannabe Writer said...

Guilt being the new love??

God...my entire relatives circle must love me to death..the guilt trips being piled on are unbelievable..one family..so much talent..WOW!!!

Guiltily

V

Monolith... said...

ah well...thats delhi weather for you!! when you getting back??

The Halo Effect said...

Guilt is the new love? This is also what happens when you realize maybe you've been too critical in past relationships and this time you'll cut the person some slack. Guilt can keep you going ... even when it's time to GET OUT!
Well written and poignant!

uncannybal said...

Guilt bothers u only as long as u havent found yourself. I always wondered what that meant. U hear it so often. 'Im trying to find myself' Sort of Cliche. Now I think Ive found an answer that satisfies me. For the moment. Finding yourself means forgiving yourself. For all that uve done. For all u havent done. For all the stupid things u said. Or havent said. U did what u thought was best. At that time. The important thing is your intentions were good. And tomorow is the first day of the rest of your life. So live the moment. Past is history. We gotta do what we gotta do. We pass this way but once. No time to waste in regret or feeling guilty. Unless u enjoy it. If u do feel away!

Lovely writing style. Guess who?
Santosh